Episode Number 33 - 01.18.11

Sleep. Get it?

Our Marpac white noise machine ... Makes me sleepy just looking at it.

Sleep has not been important to me. “I’ll sleep when I’m dead”, was my mantra.  After today’s episode … I think that’s a stupid mantra.

We spend about 1/3 of our life asleep, and 7 out of 10 in the U.S. have frequent problems sleeping.

Sleep is both a quantity AND quality thing. Number of hours varies from person to person, but most need between 7 and 9. That’s 7 to 9 hours of GOOD quality, uninterrupted shut-eye.  Skimp on either one, and the negative impact is broad.  Work, health & fitness, relationships, learning, etc.

Great news though … if you’ve got sleep issues, then fixing them could improve all those areas too.  Imagine resolving things from fatigue to irritability to lack of concentration … even low sex drive.  Hello 2nd Half awesomeness.

We hope you watch, then get a short nap.

TONS of GREAT information out there … Here are the resources we tapped for today’s episode:

Sleep Journal, National Highway Transportation Safety AssociationUniversity of Surrey Sleep Centre, Stanford Sleep & Dream, Northside Hospital Sleep Disorder Center, Cornell University Professor Dr. James Maas, Sleep Apnea Guide.

22 Responses to “Sleep. Get it?”

1. Debbie Williams January 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Good Stuff!!!

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Thx Debbie … I got 4 hours last night … hopefully more tonight … ’cause there’s no room in the schedule for naptime.

2. Patty January 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

I think my teenager needs to see this! Not that she’ll actually get up early on the weekends, but so that she’ll believe all of the things I’ve been telling her about sleep being important for school, sports, etc….

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

“Early on the weekends” and “teens” in the same sentence … an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard one.

3. Fran January 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

As someone who does have problems sleeping this was interesting! Not that i didnt know that i need sleep, or that it can have so many negative impacts if i dont get enough of it. But, to hear all the things it can impact is, well, scary! I think all of us can say that we have stages of not sleeping well. But, when that is the norm instead of the exception then i think you have to fix the whys and change some things up! I know i do…

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

For me … I’ve always thought I’ve slept okay … and figured I was getting enough … now I wonder if I’d been sleeping enough, then maybe i COULD have been an astronaut.

• Fran January 18, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

Yes i now can blame sleep deprivation on my failure in my NEUROSURGERY career:( bummer. Makes me tired

4. Maggie January 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Great info on sleep! We have one of those sleep machines and I’ve slept so much better with it. Thanks for all your videos! I didn’t realize sleep deprivation accumulates. Scary!

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

What kind of sleep machine do you have Maggie?

• Maggie January 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

We have the Marpac White Noise Machine…the one in the picture above! Love it!

5. Cathryn Compton January 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

hey Doug, I loved this video. I learned alot and I will never drive “sleep drunk.” I tried to post it on my fb page but it wouldn’t. Damn! Good work. cathryn

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Sleep drunk. Weird, huh? I’m looking into the FB thing. Thanks for watching Cathryn. Appreciate you wanting to share the 2hl love.

6. Fran January 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Another fyi for anyone thinking of doing the “sleep clinic” thing…I know a number of people with Sleep Apnea who have gone and say their life was literally changed by using their breathing machine.

• Doug January 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

Thanks Fran. A friend of mine went once and said it was the first time he’d slept soundly in years. He was determined to lose about 100 lbs so he didn’t have to use the machine. But, I’d use one just to get some good shut-eye, no?

7. Beka January 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

So what if my roommate wakes up 2 hours before I want to? Or in her case, what if I come to bed an hour after her and wake her up? New roommate? nah. I’ve been trying to go to bed earlier and do the homework I would have done last night in the morning when she wakes up. I like my sleep too much :) p.s. I like it so much, I take naps in the library sometimes before lunch 😉

• Doug January 22, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Naps are good Beka. Take ’em. Sounds like you just have to find the common ground with your roomie. Good luck with that!

8. Robin January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Holy cannoli Doug! See, this is why Mike and I turn in at 8:30! Ya can’t get up at 4 am and stay up late! Lots of good info. You’ve also affirmed our freezing temperatures at night, when our adult kids come stay the night they wear sweaters and scarfs to bed!
    Gooooooooood post!

• Doug January 22, 2011 at 12:36 am #

Thanks Robin. Sweaters & scarfs … you guys are the real deal on the sleep temp thing. One question: Can you see your breath?

9. Barb February 25, 2011 at 4:12 am #

Thanks for the important facts on sleep. Tragically, just days before your post, a 26 year old girl from our town was killed in a car accident. The driver who hit her had fallen asleep at the wheel…

• Doug February 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Unfortunately, it happens more & more. It’s just always easy to shortchange sleep … and think there are no consequences. Obviously there are … some of them life-altering.

10. Jude Niheu April 5, 2011 at 1:40 am #

I really like the fresh perpective you did on the problem. Truly was not expecting that when I started off studying. Your concepts were simple to understand that I wondered why I never looked at it prior to. Glad to know that there’s an individual out there that definitely understands what he’s discussing. Great job

• Doug April 5, 2011 at 11:06 am #

Thanks for your note, Jude. Hopefully the time on your timestamp doesn’t mean you’re struggling with sleep … or maybe you’re on the West Coast. Thanks for being so generous … but there so much information out there about sleep … I know I can learn a lot more. And then hopefully get a lot more sleep! Thanks again … look forward to hearing more from you.