Episode Number 40 - 01.28.11

Retire? How about ReLAUNCH?

Southside. A GREAT place to send your kids.

What’s next after running a high school for 26 years? Retire? If you’re only 52, there’s got to be something else, right?

For Jim, he noticed his peers were increasingly younger. He also noticed that he was increasingly stressed. And feeling the need for a change, he began pondering what might be next.  In relative short order, his life-long, weekend-filling love of fixing things became his new 2nd half career.

This might be ...

Jim inspired us on a number of levels … but partly because it took some ego-management to even consider the move. Which relates to Curt Coffman’s comment this past Tuesday, “cemeteries are full of people who did what their egos thought they should do.”  Initial perceptions were that it was a demotion, which turned out not to be false. Same money, bigger office, no stress. Not a bad deal. He’s been at it now

... your next gig too?

for over a decade.

Whether it’s longevity-driven, money-driven, boredom-driven or something else-driven, most of us are better off continuing to work instead of retiring. And if it’s something you love, then as Confucius observed, “…you’ll never work a day in your life.”

What about you? Look around. What do you truly enjoy, maybe on the weekend, that could be your next deal? A new 2nd half career. Consulting? Coaching? Driving a bus? Facilities management?

P.S. BTW … In addition to managing the facilities for Southside Fellowship, Jim is also the Treasurer of the National Association of Church Facilities Managers (NACFM).  Along with Jim, we met several board members. Great organization. Check ’em out. There might just be something there for you.

14 Responses to “Retire? How about ReLAUNCH?”

1. Noemy Clayborn January 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

This truly resonates with me right now – today. I am already feeling a need to shift, or reLAUNCH.
    So, what I need now is the How-To. Get on that 2HL – and let me know when you’ve figured it out, please!

• Doug January 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

On it, Noemy

• Marsha February 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

This really hit home. I have been pondering the same questions for the last year. I am certainly not ready to quit and love what I do. This little speech confirmed my feelings. Thanks for sharing.

• Doug February 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Glad it resonated with you Marsha. I keep running into more and more people who sound just like Jim. Fires me up.

2. Julie Still January 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

This guy is for real as I have seen Him first hand follow God with his passions.
    I am proud of him.

His daughter,
    Julie

• Doug January 29, 2011 at 3:44 am #

Julie … Thanks for your note. It was great to meet your Dad … I think his perspective on retirement is inspiring, and I’m guessing a lot of others will too.

3. Donny January 30, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Very inspiring! I think I need a relaunch as well. He is very fortunate. I have been trying to turn my weekend/evening work into my job for a long time without that kind of success. I am happy to hear it is working for him!

• Doug January 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Its interesting how close the next opportunity was for Jim. Reminds me of Randy Komisar’s advice to connect your passions with the opportunities right in front of you. Thx for watching Donny.

4. Ruth January 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

He is a very fortunate person. I think he is where he is because he didn’t close that door. I respect him in that he
    1. Asked for others’ opinions
    2. While he valued their opinions, he still searched for more information until he had enough to make the right decision for himself.

His is an inspiring story.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Doug January 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Agreed. Very wise AND humble approach.

5. Jim Geyer February 4, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Thank you, Jim for being my principal and now an example to us in the “second half”!

Jimmie

• Doug February 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

Jimmie … you’re about the 4th person to say that … Guess Jim was a great principal too.

6. Doug January 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Paul! Thanks for spreading Jim’s story!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Tweets that mention Retire? How about ReLAUNCH? | 2nd Half Lounge -- Topsy.com - January 31, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by 2nd Half Lounge, Paul Tedder. Paul Tedder said: My high school principal and a current work associate talks work, passion and changing careers -http://ow.ly/3Mc3Z […]