Episode Number 30 - 01.07.11

Helping Helps Part II

Click to order on Amazon.

Part II with Dr. Stephen G. Post on the unexpected goodness when we help. It’s pretty surprising.  His newest book, The Hidden Gifts of Helping, is due out this February. Click here for Part I with Dr. Post.

Regularly giving of ourselves with purely unselfish motives. Hmmm. A couple of hours each week. Hmmm. Good for them … good for us.

You might be thinking, “But I don’t know who or what organization(s) need help.”  Great news …

Go to Create The Good, sponsored by AARP, to quickly find roles nearby where you can plug-in.  A quick look in my area revealed over 50 organizations within just 10 miles. 50. That’s a lot opportunity … for others and us.

Hoping and praying for a healthy, growing and prosperous New Year for everyone.

14 Responses to “Helping Helps Part II”

1. Fran January 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

This is interesting and yet not so surprising, the benefits of putting others before ourselves. Interesting facts about the actual health improvements from being involved in giving, not just the feel good stuff. I think it says alot about humility vs society’s “ME” angle.

• Doug January 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Hey Fran. The most challenging part for us is making it a habit. Carving out the time REGULARLY to engage. But it’s part of the 2011 plan … I’ll keep you posted.

2. Noemy Clayborn January 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

We make a living by what we get and a life by what we give!
    Love it, live it and GIVE!

• Doug January 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

NOEMY! Thanks for giving to the rest of us Lounge regulars.

3. TMB January 8, 2011 at 4:29 am #

It’s funny, one of the major themes my seniors are studying right now is the responsible (or, more often, irresponsible) use of power. Glad to hear the good doctor speak of it.

• Doug January 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

I’m looking forward to when his next book comes out.

4. sandra davis January 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Yes, I would like to keep up with this.

• Doug January 11, 2011 at 1:44 am #

Hope you come back soon, Sandra!

5. Create The Good January 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Thank you for the mention to our site!

• Doug January 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

My pleasure! Love what you guys are doing with Create The Good. It’s helping to knock down obstacles that keep people from engaging in a way where everybody truly wins.

6. Create The Good January 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

We totally agree! You can also connect with us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/createthegood and twitter at http://www.twitter.com/createthegood.

We look forward to keeping up the conversastion!

• Doug January 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

Twitter following – check!
      facebook fan – check!

7. Create The Good February 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Thanks so much for the follow Doug! We hope you like our info!

8. Doug February 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

My pleasure … you guys keep rocking the good.