Episode Number 31 - 01.12.11

2nd Half & The iPad?

In the last 9 months, somewhere north of 10 million iPads have been sold.  That’s a pretty big number.  Even for Apple. Not being an iPad owner (yet) I wondered, “What’s the big deal?” And, “Who’s buying these things?”  We like technology, but what is everyone so jazzed about?

One could assume that the jazzed include only the hip or uber-tech-savvy. Or that the iPad is strictly the domain of Generation Y. You might even think that, as a 2nd Halfer, an iPad isn’t a good fit for you. Or that it’s just a toy. Based on some recent interviews, those thoughts & assumptions are wrong, wrong, wrong, and, yes, wrong.

Interestingly, we found that iPad users … scratch that … iPad LOVERS … include tons of 2nd Halfers.  Why? I have my opinions, but it’s better to hear it from real users.  And better to hear it in our favorite coffeeshops.

Kim, 52, describes her technical prowess as “average”. While our first host, Rev Coffee in Smyrna, GA, has a coffeehouse prowess of “awesome.”  Tim, 48, is very technical.  We met at Woodstock CoffeeHouse in Woodstock, GA, who promises ‘good times great coffee.’  They deliver … big time.

Kim and Tim make some fairly profound observations about the iPad, how they’re using it, and what it means to them. A couple of one-liners blew me away.

When you’re done watching … both Rev Coffee & Woodstock Coffehouse have Facebook fan pages. Check ’em out.  Or, better still, go in person and have some delicious joe. Bring a friend. And both Rev & Woodstock have Wi-Fi, so bring your iPads too.

15 Responses to “2nd Half & The iPad?”

1. Noemy January 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Wiping the drool off my chin. I want one. Yes my arms are crossed and I’m sticking out my bottom lip. I want one even more now. And I want the “fly the helicopter” app, too!

• Doug January 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

The Matrix quote got me too.

2. Fran January 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Im torn to be honest. On one hand, i love the technology of the ipad and think its amazing that we have this capability to get so much information when, where, and how we want it. Then again, a part of me thinks “really”? do i NEED all this faster, in my car, while shopping, etc? Would i accept an ipad if one was given to me as a gift? You bet:)

• Doug January 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

For me, I’ve just seen how things I try to do on my phone can be more efficient on an iPad. Then being disciplined enough to put it down. Business-wise it’s a no-brainer for To-dos, calendar, email & web … all my normal stuff. And, of course, showing anyone within 10 feet of me 2nd Half Lounge.

3. Patty January 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I’d take one as a gift, too! But I don’t think I’d buy one. I can’t get used to the idea of it being flat…I noticed both Kim & Tim had theirs propped up – we’re all used to the vertical screen on a laptop or pc. And I agree with Fran’s “really?” – this screams danger of getting sucked in to a whole bunch of stuff I don’t need. I have enough distractions in life as it is without the world at my fingertips :)

• Doug January 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Lots of the cases prop it up horizontally and or vertically. It IS dangerous … but like Kim says, she’s not on hers for hours … But I can see it being dangerous. But I love danger.

4. Daniel January 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Was wondering this myself several months ago. Endless work and on-the-go applications, indeed!

• Doug January 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

It’s you. It’s so you.

5. Barb January 13, 2011 at 3:54 am #

So once the snow melts are you going right out to get one? I’m not a techie but it’s something to consider….

• Doug January 13, 2011 at 4:28 am #

Maybe I will … Seems appropriate, yes?

6. Beka January 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Wow, I had no idea what I was missing! One day… one day :)

• Doug January 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

When Kim says, “This is what we were promised a personal computer would be …” That spoke volumes to me. Hope one day comes soon for you!

7. Ginny Stanton January 15, 2011 at 3:52 am #

How many people are addicted to keeping-up with the latest technology? Millions, maybe. Now, I “need” an ipad!! And the ap for TV 7 Chicago!

• Doug January 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Ginny, I grew up with TV 7 Chicago. There’s an app for that?

8. The Mayor June 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Hey Doug,

Enjoyed the video and I am hoping to get an I-Pad one of these days also, it would be great for what I do as a writer.

Thanks for showing me your I-Pad and some of the awesome programs or app’s that you can use for it. I was totally impressed!

Later,