11.30.10

Randy Komisar & Finding Your Passion

This one will help if you’re thinking, “So what do I do now?”

First, google “finding your passion.” You get about a billion results.  Okay, that’s a slight exaggeration.  I got about 5.75 million. As I sifted through the 5.75 million, I found the passion-finding advice sounding very similar, almost recipe-like. Recipes are good. Recipes provide a game plan or starting point. But finding one’s passion continues to be daunting, which seems illogical, even silly, given the volumes of available information. As I continued my sifting, I also came across this brief video with Randy Komisar.

Currently a partner with leading venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Randy Komisar is also a regular lecturer on entrepreneurship at Stanford University. He co-founded Claris Corporation and served as CEO for LucasArts Entertainment and Crystal Dynamics. He is a founding director of TiVo. Earlier roles include: CFO for Go Corporation, and Senior Counsel for Apple. Oh yeah, he also wrote “The Monk and the Riddle: The Art of Creating a Life While Making a Living” and co-authored “Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model“. Did I mention Randy is pretty legit?

So Komisar has worked with hundreds of entrepreneurs, and he’s strapped on their sandals (lots of West Coast work.) He understands what makes them tick. And the reason entrepreneurship is relevant to this discussion, is because passion is core to virtually all successful entrepreneurial efforts. Whether starting something yourself, or joining an existing team, business and personal “success” are far more likely if passion is fueling our efforts.

So if finding your passion is best described as “daunting”, then take heart. You’re about to get some simple advice that provides not only clarity, but some good context for the other 5.75 million Google results.

17 Responses to “Randy Komisar & Finding Your Passion”

1. Noemy Clayborn November 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

Awesome! Act now – marry your passion to the opportunity in front of you!

• Doug November 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Pretty simple … but in the past I’ve made it more complicated than it needed to be.

2. Ruth November 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

Personally, I think your pation(s) have a way of finding you. The thing I’m trying to learn is to listen.

• Doug November 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

Hi Ruth … listening is a skill most of us could stand to sharpen. Myself definitely included.

3. Ruth November 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

spelling correction: “passion”. I need one more cup of coffee.

• Doug November 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

I need 2 more cups.

4. Dallas December 1, 2010 at 10:59 am #

I’m almost 55 yrs old and still haven’t found my passion…How much longer???

• Doug December 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Hey Dallas, I’m sorry it’s been such a struggle. You’ve probably already thought of this, but whatever you’ve been doing to try to identify your passion … change it up COMPLETELY. If you’ve been talking to certain friends or family re:your passion, then talk to different people, even ones who don’t really know you. I had to spend a lot of time ALONE and somewhat unconnected to identify things I’m passionate about.

Try to identify activities you truly love and could lose yourself in, or situations in which you are super-comfortable, or scenarios in which you’ve experienced identifiable success. If you get a glimpse of something, be willing to sacrifice free time to pursue it. But as Randy shared in the video, don’t limit yourself to one, perfect passion … allow yourself a portfolio of passions. But to get momentum in anything we’ve got to make big changes, or exert significant effort. Keep search Dallas … you’ve got a lot of great years ahead to thrive & make an impact.

5. George Greven December 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Doug- GREAT stuff. Having known what my passion is from pre-school, I never realized what a daunting task, not just finding what you’re passionate about, but identifying what the “right” thing is to be passionate about. Is there an epilogue?

• Doug December 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Working on an “epilogue” of sorts right now, George. Randy’s encouragement to resist focusing too specifically is, I hope, truly liberating for a TON of people … really at all ages. A friend commented on FB that it was helpful for his college-aged kids.

6. Dave December 2, 2010 at 4:39 am #

This is very timely for me. Thank you.

• Doug December 2, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Dave, I was hoping this would be timely for someone. Best, Doug

7. Tom Raines February 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Exellent Doug, unlike Randy I spent most of my life being passionate about NOTHING. I was in my 40’s when I realized I didn’t know who I was and had no passion because I only lived for others. I spent my life consumed by what others thought about me. I spent each moment being a chameleon to be who I thought the person before me wanted me to be. I never looked beyond them to see a horizon! The weird thing is, when I admitted I was an alchoholic and was broken to a point where I only sought after God, I found my passion in Him. I have always loved positive affirmations but felt I was always putting too much emphasis on self. My passion is helping others through this process and letting them know the problems and challenges they have faced is now who they are and the power of the “I am”. There is such freedom in honesty and the power in each of us be who we are in Him. I seek daily for affirmations of being who we are in God. The power in each of our stories and being who we are offers hope and encouragement to others. At last passion!

• Doug February 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Randy, thanks so much for your note. I can relate on a couple of levels. As Jesus-follower, my day-to-day happiness, contentment, joy, etc. is more and more grounded in my identity as God’s son, and less and less by people and circumstances. But as you know, it’s a life-long deal, so it’s not as though “I’ve arrived” by any stretch. I appreciate your transparency regarding your fatih. Part of the vision for 2hl inspiration to flow through 2hl to those who need it. Robin inspired lots of people yesterday, and tomorrow it may be you or me or someone else. I hope you become a part of that vision! Thanks again. Doug

• Tom Raines February 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

Absolutely plan to be a part of that plan. I pray that there are those in the world who will benefit from my story to find hope and joy. I can share my affirmations daily through my blog and just hope those are seeds for God’s kingdom that will prosper. I know the searching for God’s treasures have changed my life and given me a passion and joy I can not even explain. The joy that is found as being His child is mind blowing! Robin introduced me to the world of blogging 10 months ago as I had never even been to one and it has become my mission and my passion!

• Doug February 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Always encouraged to hear someone fired-up!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Curt Coffman: Strengths & Authentic Living. | 2nd Half Lounge - December 16, 2010

[…] engaged and productive employees and loyal customers. Another relevant discussion here on 2hl is an earlier talk with Founding TiVo Director & Venture Capitalist Randy […]